Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC digital curriculum service in England

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC digital curriculum service in England
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:08:46 +0100

On 2004-10-14 07:37:49 +0100 Phil Driscoll <address@hidden> wrote:

We now have SVG renderers embedded into some of our desktop environments, so it is clear that the SVG libraries must be up to a standard where the Mozilla and KHTML people ought to be able to start thinking about using them.

Why is the SVG support not included in the main Mozilla builds? I think I remember it requiring extra libraries: are they unusual or large?

In the short term, I think it would be hard to do much without further encouraging the use of Flash. The only current multi-platform alternative which can match the functionality is Java, but to implement the interactive stuff in Java would greatly increase the BBC's authoring costs.

I suspect the problems with encouraging Flash (the format) could be as bad as Microsoft formats. The specification licence at http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/licensing/fileformat/license2.html seems to forbid its use for player development along with other annoying restrictions. Has anyone reverse-engineered the format?

Java was a similar plugin problem for a long time, but http://www.nongnu.org/gcjwebplugin/ seems to be fixing this now: still some way to go and they invite help, especially testers, but I expect Java gurus are also welcome.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Speaking at ESF on Sat 16 Oct - http://www.affs.org.uk/