Re: [Fsfe-uk] FLOSS accounting package

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] FLOSS accounting package
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:14:01 +0000

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:41:25AM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 10:55 +0000, Chris Croughton wrote:
> > At last year's AGM there was a guy (sorry I've forgotten his name) who
> > was writing a FLOSS accounting package.  With the recent news that
> > Quicken is going to be killed off, this seems like a good time to push
> > such a thing and possibly to put some of the AFFS sponsorship money into
> > it.
>
>       http://www.affs.org.uk/affsac-2004.html
>
> The table is very badly laid out; sorry - I'm not sure why it's like
> that. But, the speaker is John Pinner of Clocksoft, and you can download
> the PDF slides of his excellent talk there.

Thanks.

> Interesting news about Quicken...

I meant to include the URL:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/17/quicken_killed_off/

  A letter sent to Quicken customers warns that the product
  will not be on sale after the end of this month. Intuit UK
  will continue to offer telephone support until the end of
  January next year. A final UK version of Quicken is
  included with the letter, but development will continue in
  the US and Canada.

One of the letters to The Register today also suggests a FLOSS version
and mentions GNUCash, it might be an idea if the authors of other
software contacted The Register pointing out other FLOSS alternatives.

Chris C