Re: [Fsfe-uk] FLOSS accounting package

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] FLOSS accounting package
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:41:06 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Chris Croughton wrote:

> At last year's AGM there was a guy (sorry I've forgotten his name) who
> was writing a FLOSS accounting package.  With the recent news that
> Quicken is going to be killed off, this seems like a good time to push
> such a thing and possibly to put some of the AFFS sponsorship money into
> it.

You should note that PayThyme, the software referred to at the AGM, is not
an accounting package but rather a payroll management system.

For an accounting package you are probably looking at either SQL Ledger or
GNUCash. The latter is probably more akin to quicken (assuming you are not
referring to Quickbooks).

I think accounting packages are still an area where Free Software isn't so
brilliant. Reality is that these do need a lot of localisation to reflect
varying legislative and other requirements for each locale. I've still not
managed to find anything that really does a good job for my needs although
SQL Ledger is probably the closest at the moment - it would be better if
someone contributed a good chart of accounts aimed at UK businesses.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/      ADSL Broadband from just £21.50 / month