fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free

From: Mac
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 13:56:37 +0100

Noah Slater wrote:
<big snip>
...Fundamentally, Canonical values pragmatism over freedom and
this is reflected in Ubuntu's roadmap time and time again.

This is the reason that I avoid Ubuntu and choose Debian instead.

I'd be interested in the views of folks here about a few questions, which I ask out of a genuine wish to investigate the issues, and with no wish to score points.

# First, in the context of concerns about Canonical's values, I'd be interested in what folk think of Mark Shuttleworth's ideas about Gobuntu and gNewSense:

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/rethinking_gobuntu

# Second, as I understand it rms doesn't approve of Debian any more than he does of Ubuntu. The Gnu project only endorses as free gNewSense, Ututo and a few others:

http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html

Does any one here only ever use one of these totally free distro; what (moral) issues does that raise in their daily work, and how do they resolve these?

# My last question is related to the second, but is more complex. Most GNU/Linux distros are markedly 'more free' than proprietary operating systems, and users who choose freedom should always prefer GNU/Linux to a proprietary OS. But some GNU/Linux distros use more proprietary code than others, and very few have none. So when persuading the users of a proprietary OS that their freedom is better served by GNU/Linux, should we be glad that they are willing to use a 'less free GNU/Linux', rather than no GNU/Linux at all? And then should we be glad that they are willing to use a less-free GNU/Linux when they would not be willing to use one that has little or no proprietary components or respos?

This last question is really about where the edges of our idea of freedom are. Would we allow people the freedom to chose and use what is less good, or insist that they should forgo the use of software entirely until it is all free?

I struggle with this stuff, as I guess we all do. So I'm really interested to hear your thoughts and get your help on this.

Mac