fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 20:16:45 +0100

2008/5/3 David Greaves <address@hidden>:
> Dave Crossland wrote:
>> I think its fair to keep up pressure on people who [think?] they have arrived
>> when they haven't.
>
> On whose journey? Yours or theirs? :)

I am still on the journey - I haven't tossed my Nokia mobile phone,
have not soldered the BIOS chip I have for my workstation motherboard
and installed a free BIOS, not swapped my IBM X31 laptop with
proprietary BIOS and wifi firmware for my OLPC XO, use an ADSL router
with proprietary modem firmware, and haven't moved my email off GMail
yet.

But I don't think I've arrived, I openly acknowledge I'm on the journey :-)

> I would suggest that you continue to *promote* fs to those people. And respect
> their decisions. Linus is not an FS supporter in the same way that RMS is.

Linus says he supports open source, not free software, as I understand
his writing.

> I respect his decision to stay GPL2 even though I disagree. I would never
> suggest
> pressuring him but until he says "enough is enough" I am happy to see people
> debate the philosophy with him.

Choice of free software license is a secondary issue; BSD guys are
cool with me.

IMO the primary issue is carrying on making small steps towards
eliminating proprietary software :-)

--
Regards,
Dave