gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:39:16 +0200

> Date: Sun,  1 Feb 2004 13:46:04 -0500 (EST)
> From: address@hidden (Robert Dewar)
>
> One advance here is that everyone is now more aware of problems in the past.
> It may well be that we can move forward on the basis of everyone trying
> individually to avoid these same problems in the future. That's actually
> more likely to be effective than any specific changes in the rules for
> maintenance procedures

I tend to disagree.

After going through all this ordeal which left a few people with hurt
feelings, after hearing all the good questions and revealing
observations posted by Ian, after so much efforts invested in thinking
about what Ian and others said, trying to get to the bottom of the
problems and seek solutions--after all that, it makes little sense to
me to go back to business-as-usual, as if nothing happened, and sweep
the problems under the carpet in the hope that they will stay there
indefinitely.

I think we owe it to ourselves to see this discussion through to the
point where we could come up with some specific, agreeable, and
practical action items, and make sure they are implemented in the near
future.

Of course, if mine is a minority opinion, I won't insist.