Re: [glob2-devel] New unit proposal

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New unit proposal
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:25:59 -0700

Gabriel Walt wrote:

>>I would prefer the idea of making the explorer updatable so it discovers
>>the map for you,  but hides it for the enemy.
>>Also explorers can kill explorers, they can also attack warriors and do
>>some light damage, though warriors can't attack explorers.
>>

>yay that's right - let's use the explorers!!
>

>>I like the idea of giving the user more possibilities of finetuning unit
>>behaviour, for example there could be a slider to tell worker units
>>whether to get food for inns, or rather build new units. Consider
>>settler2 for a reference.
>>

>Yes that would be definitively cool, but there are so many parameters that
>could be tuned! The whole priority system is quite complex and there might be
>parameters that couldn't that easily integrated in a configurable priority
>system...
>
>* the first priority for units (that you cannot change) is to eat and to go to
>hospitals if badly injured
>* then come the following elements:
>  - go to upgrades (and which upgrades, walk, swim, attack, school, etc)
>  - give resources to buildings (to swarms, inns, towers, etc)
>  - build buildings (and which buildings, swarms, inns, hospitals, defenses,
>upgrade buildings, schools, etc)
>
>It might be easy to imagine a triangular slider (or whatever) with the 3 main
>non-vital tasks, but I suspect that this might result in a major rewrite of
>the unit code and take a lot of time... It would be really fun and I really
>love the idea, but let's hear what the developers think about it! ;)
>
>The same idea could be implemented for warriors and what they should attack -
>or with the future explorers.
>
>Gabriel

I think it is time to create something like a swarm, but for extra
units. including air warriors, special warriors, etc. swarm should be
kept for explorers and workers only?
The only problem with the new warriors that I see is how do we keep it
in the rated G format that we currently have?

what about requiring the use of resources for unit upgrades? for
example, when a unit is learning attack it might need to load the place
might need to be loaded with 2 pieces of stone and one piece of wood,
for each person or something? and for the hospitals they could use a
different resource we haven't made yet? or papyus?

for the explorers, I think another interesting thing to do for them is
to have them start out slower, and then they have to go to a special
school for speed training and to get smarter (like only explorering
areas that haven't been explored, and possibly more). and the ability to
hide extra land from the other team.

Kyle