Re: [Gnash-dev] How to support ffmpeg?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] How to support ffmpeg?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:41:42 +0100

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:29:53PM +0100, Tomas Groth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As some of you has no doubt experienced, or read on this list, ffmpeg is the
> root of many problems. To be more precise, the ever changing API is rather
> annoying, because it makes it very hard to support older and newer versions at
> the same time, and still remain sane. So to solve this issue some proposals
> has
> been put forward that we would like to share with you.
>
> 1) Include ffmpeg in gnash.
> pros: No more need to support old and outdated versions of ffmpeg. (Wohoo!)
> cons: There might be some IP/patent-issues... We'll need to keep our own
> ffmpeg-tree up to date.

+con: simply upgrading ffmpeg won't make Gnash run better.

> 2) Help the ffmpeg-team to do some periodic releases.
> pros: The whole world will start celebrating, because finally ffmpeg has
> releases! Gnash can require real release versions, instead of svn numbers.
> cons: In the short term it's still the same mess. Helping out with
> ffmpeg-releases is going to require a lot of time! (any volunteer?)

+pros: we would probably not be alone

> 3) Keep on as always.
> pros: None.
> cons: same mess as now.
>
> In a perfect world I'd vote for option 2, but for now I'm voting for option 1,
> but what about you?

I vote for *inspecting* option 2 by mailing ffmpeg devel list to gather some
information
about that past effort. Can't give a final vote w/out knowing how big would the
effort
for helping managing releases would be.