Re: [Gnash-dev] How to support ffmpeg?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] How to support ffmpeg?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:33:16 -0700

Tomas Groth wrote:

> Long story short: debian (unstable & testing) and ubuntu are the ones who has
> the oldest versions: (20060823). I compared latest debian, ubuntu, mandriva,
> fedora and openSuSE. The last two only have ffmpeg in unofficial repositories.
> So unless anybody has a _very_ good reason to support older versions, 20060823
> is the oldest version gnash will support (once we've done some work).

  Fedora Core 6 appears to include ffmpeg in extras too, but all the
distro seem to prefer Gstreamer over ffmpeg. (mostly cause of the
licensing issues) So what version number (look in avcodec.h) is the
threshold I should have ffmpeg.m4 look for ? Is there a new function or
something else Gnash needs specifically ? Making ffmpeg.m4 check the
version is easy, but ya gotta let me know what exact thing I'm looking
for, as configure can't do this by checking the date.

> Do we want to be part of the ffmpeg release team? Do we have someone to use
> time on this? I don't think we should start offering our help unless we are
> certain we can provide it.

  No, that's my point. I don't think any of us have the time or
motivation to join the ffmpeg team. I dislike having to tell people they
need to build ffmpeg from source, but I prefer this to becoming ffmpeg
team developers. If I have to for a short time, I can build binary
packages for a half dozen common platforms of ffmpeg, but I'd rather not
if we can avoid it.