Re: [Gnash-dev] rc2 status

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] rc2 status
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 20:59:02 +0200

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:54:16PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:35:09PM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> > Patrice Dumas writes:
> >  > The solution I propose is to select SUBDIRS in testsuite based on what
> >  > is available instead of skipping large parts of Makefile.am. This allows
> >  > to have make dist works correctly.
> >
> > I'm not sure that this patch correctly fixes the problem.  It appears
> > to me as if whoever does ''make dist'' has to have every optional
> > thing installed, otherwise the distribution will be missing files.
> > That's reasonable.
>
> No, that's not reasonable ;-). make dist should work in any case because it
> packages source files and source files can always be there. Admitedly
> there are also generated files that are shipped, because the maintainer
> is supposed to have the possibility to generate them, but in that case
> all the files leading to that particular generated file should be
> shipped such that they are not even rebuilt if the user didn't changed
> them, and they should only be removed by make maintainer-clean.

Agreed.

> > But the missing files have pointed to a bug.  I think I have ming
> > installed, but this is configure's output:
> >         MING version code is
> >         MING flags are
> >         MING libs are -lming
> >         MAKESWF is
> > So, either I don't really have ming installed, or there's a bug in
> > configure.ac.
>
> You also have to have the ming library installed.

That's a well known "bug", which is you need to have a ming-config
script, from which version code and flags are extracted (supposedly).
At least this is what it took before nelson touched it (I tought
to work-around that ming-config limitation, since ming-config was only
available from 0.4 up).