Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash (Flash) for next system.

From: zou lunkai
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash (Flash) for next system.
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:31:46 +0800

>> benefit from a "remove Boost usage from Gnash" bounty, first.  I'd
>> support that financially: Boost and C++ in general has no place in
>> portable software development, period.

I agree that using boost would make gnash less portable.  Many
compilers does not support boost  well.  And boost has various
versions, older versions are likely less portable according to my

>  Um, as parts of Boost are becoming parts of the C++ libstdc++
>library, this isn't accurate. We have very light usage of boost, mostly
>just a few typedefs and thread support. It would be entirely possible to
>use glib instead, but you'll have the same problems on win32 as you do
>with Boost. I do find boost drives me crazy sometimes when porting
>Gnash, bjam truly sucks as a build system, and boost barely cross compiles.

For gnash, boost was mainly for fast prototype.  I guess many of them
could be dropped in later code refactory steps.