Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:42:37 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, John Gilmore wrote:

I don't understand why Gnash would be able to play a video by using
the gstreamer library and the codecs it knows about, but Totem
wouldn't be able to play the very same thing using the very same
library on the very same system.

Gstreamer's FLV parser may not yet support the new codec types. The same
can be said for ffmpeg based players.

Are you really sure there's no gnash
bug here?

Yes. Both videos play fine in Gnash. The first video plays in mplayer,
but the second video doesn't.

A "Save Media" feature that half the time saves media that
won't play isn't very useful.

I'm afraid we can't do anything about the playback of other players, but
our save feature works just fine.

[Aside: This seems pretty excessive to me; perhaps someone who knows
the code can figure out why we're pulling in GPG, libkrb5, and every
codec known to man.  Just linking all these must take more than
a second on the OLPC.]

I suspect most of those are pulled in by Gstreamer. I don't know if
there's anything we can do about that.

Bastiaan