Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Testing API

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Testing API
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 16:46:32 +0200

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 08:09:33AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 06/04/10 07:58, strk wrote:
>
> > Could you please say more about what you don't like about
> > the check API ? I said what I like about it. Will repeat it:
> > the 'check' API reports both success/failure both
> > expected/obtained results in case of failure.
>
>   I dislike the check API for being overly terse. Being the author of
> DejaGnu (and the GCC, GDB, Binutils testsuites), I prefer that API of
> course. :-) We're not going to depreciate the DejaGnu testing API, so
> just get used to it. You don't have to use it, and both APIs co-exist
> just fine.

> The other big point about using the DejaGnu API is that  then
> our testsuites automatically support cross testing on embedded
> platforms. Although we currently don't use this feature, we could, and
> in the future we might.

The 'check' API is just a wrapper around the Dejagnu one, so there's
nothing lost by using it, only additional features.

"just get used to it" and other arguments used later (not quoted)
are of no use except making cooperation harder, so please, if you
belive in open development models, try to avoid them.