[Gnewsense-dev] New Forum

From: Brice Chaffin
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] New Forum
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:08:37 -0500

Regarding the discussions on a new forum, opinion seems to to be divided
on whether or not we even want/need a forum.

Some have expressed other concerns as well, which I understand.

Truth is, the forum is one of two projects I have volunteered for here,
and I don't want lengthy discussions of one to take too much of my time
from the other. I can manage two projects only if they are
straightforward, and I see that a new forum for this site has certain
concerns that make it more complex than just putting a new board in
place, and I'm not sure yet that everyone wants it anyway.

So that being said, here's what I'm thinking. I should let the forum
idea simmer for a little while longer,and get to work on the other
project.

In the meantime,perhaps we should discuss wheteher or not the community
as a whole really wants/needs a new forum. Perhaps the mailing lists and
IRC channels are sufficient.

I offered phpBB because it's what I know. I will continue to evaluate it
and see if it would be suitable to our needs. I will see if it can
addreess peoples concerns.

If, in the end, you all decide we need a forum,and if you all feel phpBB
is the solution,I am still willing to do it.

On the other hand, if you all decide theres really no need to have a
forum at all, I'm okay with that too.

Thanks for all your input. It gives me new points to consider, and since
I am still new here, I don't know past issues as well as the rest of
you.

Brice