Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:06:37 -0400

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 05:36:31PM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> The thought occurs, what if arch-id: tags behave the way Miles wants
> them (ignoring whitespace, etc) and arch-tag: tags remain exactly the
> same in their behavior?  Then people can migrate to arch-id: at their
> leisure, and newbies reading the tutorial will only learn about arch-id:
> at first.

Well as I understand it the outstanding proposal (by tom) is to have arch-id:
only consider things within double-quotes as significant.  That gives the
user freedom to choose a tag that has no `weird' characters (they could do
basically do that with arch-tag: too, except for the problem of the comment
end-delimiter in C).

I think it's _not_ proposed to have arch-id: ignore certain characters (it
can use a quoting convention for anything questionable), and that's probably
the right thing, since it allows any existing arch-tag: to be converted to an
arch-id: without the id changing.

So you can indeed later convert at your leisure, and as long as your slightly
 careful with out how you create your arch-tag:s now (e.g., you put the C end
 delimiter on the next line, and avoid using double quotes &c), you can avoid
 an ugly arch-id: too.

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"