Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: archive order?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: archive order?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:02:08 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Stig Brautaset <address@hidden>

    [reverse-delta foo]
    > This issue have been raised a couple of times before, and I for one
    > have argued loudly against it on occasion:

    [...]

    > It does not make sense, IMHO. :)

Mostly it's a false dichotomy.   The changesets are symmetric -- they
are neither forwards or backwards.

The changesets are also just about the perfect unit for minimalizing
the communication costs of commit and "replay --exact".

The changesets in the current archive format are also just about a
perfect transaction log -- compact in size yet also useful for random
access.

Ancillary structures like archive cached revisions (though many other
things are imaginable) enable all kinds of fanciness in
arch_build_revision.

More "exotic" archive storage management is certainly possible -- most
likely just using the changesets as the wire protocol -- the sky's the
limit.