Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: UI change proposal: *-tag -> *->id

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: UI change proposal: *-tag -> *->id
Date: 19 Sep 2003 09:29:58 -0700

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 08:47, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On Sep 19 2003, Robert wrote:
> > I find myself telling people to think of a tag as a symbolic link.  What
> > do people think of:
> >
> > tla link
> >
> > That seems to fit intuitively to all use cases, to me.
>
> I like it.
>
> The overloading of "tag" is nothing but a mild annoyance,
> IMO, but I guess I've just gotten used to it. I seem to remember being
> more concerned about it as a arch newbie...

Me, too.  But I'm reminded when I am explaining to coworkers and they
consistently get puzzled or lapse into blank stare at predictable
places.  This is one of those.

"symbolic link" seems to turn the lights back on, especially when they
see the output of the command:

* [archive1]/cat--branch--1.0 => [archive2]/cat--main--1.0

The more I think about, the more I think "link" is a painfully obvious
choice.

Bob