[Gnu-arch-users] Re: UI change proposal: *-tag -> *->id

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: UI change proposal: *-tag -> *->id
Date: 22 Sep 2003 12:21:55 +0900

Doran Moppert <address@hidden> writes:
> > The reason for changing from arch-tag: to arch-id: is because of syntax
> > changes, it's not just a name change (and arch-tag: will continue to
> > work in the `old way').
>
> can you explain that bit to me? I understand it as a "tagline syntax" change
> but the "name change" doesn't mean much to me.

arch-tag: will use the old syntax (in psuedo regexp notation):

   \n WHITESPACE/PUNCUATION* arch-tag: TAG \n

arch-id: will have a different syntax:

   \n .* \< arch-id: "TAG" .* \n

The old arch-tag: name/syntax has to remain so as not to cause
surprises in existing archives.

(this is my personal take on the situation; I don't know if Tom has
completely decided or not yet)

> And I think my point still stands that setting the tagline syntax using a
> regexp (per-category, not global) would be a useful generalisation of the
> change that is going to happen anyway, and allow users to recover from
> pathological conflict situations.

Perhaps, but I suspect it wouldn't be very high on the priority list
(has anyone actually needed such a feature so far?).

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde