Re: [Gnu-arch-users] accessing mirrors

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] accessing mirrors
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:22:03 -0500

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 16:42, Brian May wrote:

> Anyway, I wanted to mirror my archive, address@hidden,
> on my laptop so I can access anything from the archive without
> requiring a revision library for every project in the library.

This doesn't make sense - revision libraries are just a cache for speed
purposes; they're not intended to be mirrors.

> I followed the instructions, and ended up with
> address@hidden  (refers to the non-local SOURCE)
> address@hidden (refers to the local mirror)

This is backwards. You want address@hidden to refer to
the archive on your laptop that you commit to, and
address@hidden to refer to the mirror on your
server.  I think you read the wrong part in the tutorial.

> This worked fine, but then I realized (not unexpectedly) that
> I can't commit changes to projects checked out from the mirror
> archive. So I used the -SOURCE archive instead.

I learned this lesson in a different context today too.  As far as I can
tell, you should *never* do a 'get' from a -SOURCE archive.  The need to
do so means your setup is broken.

> I thought this was OK, but not I get the impression that I was
> wrong, because I can no longer checkout that archive, even
> as address@hidden (non-mirror), as tla cannot add
> the project to the revision library:

The problem is that inside the changeset, the directory is named
-SOURCE, but tla isn't expecting that.

> Alternative, perhaps the problem here was that this was a new project, ie.
> I used import instead of commit.

Nope.  It's the mirror setup.

> Is there anyway I can restore my project?

You might be able to edit the changeset by hand :/

> Is there any way of getting read/write access in addition to mirrored
> access on the one computer?

Of course!  In the tutorial, read "Mirroring a *local* archive
*remotely*".