Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular [was: Re-linking t

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular [was: Re-linking to revlib implemented]
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:01:56 +0100

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:28:13PM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> One of the things that seems to steer users away from creating
> microbranches is a fear of cruft. [...]
>
> We could solve this (thusly encouraging microbranches even more) by
> providing a method for users to "hide" no longer active portions of an
> archive.
>
> Execution of this would require two parts:
>
> 1. Somewhere, somehow store data about what versions are to be
> hidden.  [One] of the ways we could do this is to create
> .arch-params/=hidden-trees. [...]

I'd rather think of it as an archive property. One more application
for the archive-metadata category.

> 2. Teach [ar]browse how to ignore the cat/archive/version listed in
> #1. [...]
>
> Basically, its a security blanket for the kids until they grow into arch
> enough to realize they look silly carrying a security blanket around. :)

When I first read the larch tutorial (the old, messy tutorial, with
much more deep thinking than the current one) I was deeply impressed
by Tom's point that category--branch--version--revision naming scheme
was designed as a way for humans to communicate as much as a way to
actually store data in the archive.

Maybe the paradigm has been shifting over time and I have missed it,
but I am still very much attached to the idea that an archive
organization actually _means_ something, and that (still emerging)
conventional naming schemes make it easier for someone to find its way
in an unknown archive.

In that paradigm, I believe it would be a good idea to say "this
category/branch/version only contain historical data, nothing of
importance is going there anymore, patches have already been merged".

This would not be a security blanket, but a convenience to keep dead
microbranches out of the way when using, for example, GUIs or tab
completion.

My two euro cents.
--
                                                            -- ddaa