Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla on nfs only

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla on nfs only
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:15:05 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I don't understand what you're talking about.
We need:
- one stat per work-tree file.
- compare this result with a known value (which can come from the
  work-tree's inode-sigs or from the rev-lib).

Those are the requirements for determining whether the file's contents have changed.

For determining whether the file's metadata (permissions, file type) has changed, the requirements are:
- one stat of the file in the working directory
- one stat of the file in the reference tree

An optimization I made was to reuse the stats from metadata checks in the file contents check.

I can't see any reason why it would be faster than using the worktree's
inode-sigs.

It's {three integer comparisons} instead of a {map lookup followed by string comparison}. Since the reference tree stat is necessary for other reasons, it's very cheap.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Information Technology