Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Avoiding ancestor scan during get with revision lib

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Avoiding ancestor scan during get with revision library
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:03:38 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

    > > The trouble is, this is extremely slow; nothing appears after the
    > > "searching.." message for several minutes.  (I guess there's some
    > > connection setup latency due to firewall and/or web-proxy issues.)

    > Agreed.  It's too damn slow.  But for the moment, it seems the latency
    > issues are inevitable.  Using pipelining, parallel downloads, a smart
    > server, or changing the archive format could improve matters.

It can be solved more simply than any of that.

In this case, given a very recent cacherev and no recent ancestor in
the revlib, tla should give up on hard-linking fairly quickly and just
build a non-shared revlib tree.   The exact point at which to give up
is something we can pick a default for and let people tweak with a
library-config parameter.   It's also something we can choose
automagically if we start recording file sizes in archives (and this
is like the N+1th reason we have for doing so).