Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] apply-delta target directory

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] apply-delta target directory
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 01:35:40 -0400

David Allouche wrote:
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 08:52:32AM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

David Allouche wrote:

"tla apply-delta REV-A REV-B" applies the delta changeset to the current
directory, not the tree-root.

Yeah, I thought that was odd behaviour too. I wasn't sure if there was some reasonable reason for behaving this way, though of course, scripts like aba change-version can avoid this by manually specifying the tree root.

You can often work around bugs. It's better to fix them.

If they're bugs.

It comes down to the two-faced nature of delta. If you run delta in a non-Arch tree, it will compare to the current directory. If you run delta in an arch tree, it will compare to the tree-root.

But in any case, using non-Arch trees with delta does not make sense in
Arch as I understand it. Please educate me if I'm wrong.

Actually, if you do "tla delta $dir1 $dir2 $dir3" where $dir1 and $dir2 are not project trees, it's pretty much the same result as "tla changeset $dir1 $dir2 $dir3"

Given that behaviour, I guess it's reasonable to expect apply-delta to behave the same way. If people really want to apply the changeset to the wrong directory, they can use delta and apply-changeset.

I cannot understand what you mean. You seem to say: "given <broken>,
it's reasonable to expect apply-delta to <be-broken>. If people want to
<break> then can <not-use-apply-delta>" which is contradictory.

Since delta uses the specified-directory-tree-root, not the specified directory, it's reasonable to expect apply-delta to use the specified-directory-tree-root, not the specified directory. If people want to use the specified directory, they can use delta to create the changeset and apply-changeset to apply it to the specified directory.

In any case, I'd expect the changeset-applying function to shout and cry
if the user is trying to apply a changeset involving patchlogs to a
directory which is not a tree-root.

It's just doing apply-changeset. It's not particularly smart. It doesn't know anything about patchlogs and what they might signify.

Aaron