[Gnu-arch-users] Re: microbranches: prism-merge vs multi-merge

From: Julian T. J. Midgley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: microbranches: prism-merge vs multi-merge
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:25:22 +0000 (UTC)

In article <address@hidden>,
Miles Bader  <address@hidden> wrote:
>Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:
>> Is there some fix to make the branches "micro" again?  If development
>> continues for some time, they wil accumulate patches from the upstream
>> branch, which means that branches aren't really *that* cheap.
>
>The `obvious' way would be to re-tag from the upstream branch instead of
>merging from it, but I've always been afraid to do this, as you always
>hear about problems with mixed commit/tag branches.

Or to have a tool for forking a new set of microbranches from the
latest revision of the devel branch (after the upstream merge) and
replay or star-merge the changes from the old microbranches into the
new ones.

This exchanges microbranch-bloat for branch proliferation, which seems
a little cleaner.

Julian

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                       http://www.xenoclast.org/