Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory
Date: 07 Jun 2004 04:34:58 -0400

>> Exactly.  I'd even argue that when a full inventory is necessary, tla
>> should simply signal an error to the effect of "the change you're trying to
>> commit is not restricted to the set of files/dirs you specified".

> Well, but it should be possible to add or delete files with a limited
> commit.  Some people would even want to allow renames, I'd expect.

But as I pointed out, it's easy to look at ,,index to figure out whether
it's an add or a move, so there's no problem adding a file.  For deleting
a file, I'd just always consider a "local remove" as a remove (i.e.
if a file is moved from inside the limit to outside it will be "incorrectly"
considered as a delete and a subsequent non-limited commit will then do the
other have of the move by re-adding the file).  Or you could add a flag
if you really want to.  But a flag seems redundant since the user can easily
just specify the "to" and the "from" in the limit, thus making is "locally"
clear that it's a move without having to look outside the limit.

        Stefan