Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:26:33 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > There's another way to look at things. If you run a hardware store that
    > only sells screwdrivers, and your customers keep bringing in broken
    > screwdrivers because they're misusing them as hammers, then you should
    > be selling hammers too.

Right, but the typical newbie confusion for arch seems to be a case
where we're selling both hammers and screwdrivers but sometimes users
take them home and try to pound a nail with a screwdriver or the wrong
end of a hammer.

Most of the "I can't possibly do X with Arch" complaints that aren't
answered with "You can, and here's how" are correctly answered with
"That's right but that's because X is (pick one: impossible, not what
you think it is, intractable, or obviously and objectively
ill-advised)".  There are exceptions and most of those are now in the
queue of feature plans.