Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:40:15 -0400

Miles Bader:
> Yes, it's important to pay attention to newbies, but no, the proper
> method to do this isn't always to make tla look exactly like CVS or
> subversion or whatever.  In addition to the initial learning curve, one
> should well consider whether by excessively dumbing down the initial
> exposure, one is actually digging a pit that makes any further steps
> much harder.

Agreed. Creating an attic, or removing mirroring in order to strip down
arch functionality so that its more like cvs or subversion is silly.

However, I think this-id and that-id serves pendantry better than it
does intuitiveness. I'm not an arch newbie by any reasonable measure.
When I'm working in a working tree, and I want a file to move from here
to there, I'm not thinking about ids. I'm thinking about the file. I
don't care about the ids. I trust that tla will take care of them as
long as I tell tla to mv the file. :)

> Yeah, I was rude, I apologize.

We've all been really stressed lately. Maybe whats needed is a
converence somewhere so that we all can put faces to the bits we're
shoving around. For the least, after everybody's seen everybody else's
body language, we'll all have a much better feel for how we communicate.

Take care Miles,

James