Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sharing local archive problems

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sharing local archive problems
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:18:19 -0400

Andrei Voropaev:

> Unfortunately I have to say, that real life usage of gnu-arch is even
> more complecated than what is written in tutorial :) So I'm asking for
> help again.

Did you try http://howto.gnuarch.org. Though there isn't a minithowto
(yet) on what you're specifically trying to do, there is a lot of
unrelated useful documentation. :)

> Hm. It is possible for all of us to create our own archives by tagging,
> and then merging our changes back into single archive. But for certain
> simple changes it would be nice if my collegue could simply commit his
> changes in my archive.
>
> How do I achieve it?  Should I change umask before creating an archive
> and importing any projects into it? Or is there some gnu-arch option
> that would do it for me? Really, changing umask every time I have to do
> changes to archive is not very convinient.

If you insist upon having a shared archive, then you have three choices:

1. Use a shared account, typically by creating a new account, and adding
both his and your ssh keys to authorized_keys for that account.

2. Keep seperate accounts. Though some people manage to pull this off by
fiddling with permissions and umasks, it seems that most people end up
in permissions hell.

3. Set up a patch queue manager like arch-pqm. Though this will general
solve more problems than it creates, this solution isn't flawless
because of an edge case in star-merge that is magnified by the behavior
a pqm encourages.