Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla import versus tla commit

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla import versus tla commit
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:06:23 -0500

Cameron Patrick <address@hidden> writes:

> Anand Kumria wrote:
>
>> [1]: tla import having -S and -s is a bad idea; perhaps -C,
>> --create-archive would be less likely to confuse. I've typed in '-S' more
>> than once.
>
> --create-archive would be misleading as the option doesn't create an
> archive, just creates the category/branch/version within it.  I'd say
> that there's a good case to be made for -S being the default on tag
> and especially import, though.

Making -S the default would be convenient, but keep in mind the
possibility of typoing a category, branch, or version number.
Creating a new directory and sticking some contents in it mean that
there's no possibility of reusing the name in the future.

If you had typoed archive-setup you would create an empty directory
which is safe to destroy, and a typoed tag/import command would alert
you that the directory doesn't exist.