[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla import versus tla commit

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla import versus tla commit
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:15:04 -0400

> For a single user, with an almost entirely "local" environment,
> implementing undo (even of commits) is quite practical, although a tad
> tedious.   Arch needs to keep a more detailed track of the revision
> libraries it knows about, the mirrors, the timing of mirror updates,
> and the location of project trees.   Matthew Dempsky has recently
> started working on this problem, although his time is very limited (he
> is a student) and so no particular rate of progress can be promised.

Sounds like a lot of work, with a lot of room for "errors" (i.e. things we
can only assume to hold even though they may not always do so).
And for very little benefit (in my case at least) since most/all my archives
are pretty quickly disseminated to revlibs and stuff on various machines.

I think we'll be better off following an approach similar to NNTP (where the
problem is also that once data is sent, you can't in general trace back all
the copies): create a new kind of changeset which modifies a previous one.

This way we can change the past (e.g. change the log message of an old
revision), and the info will be disseminated using the same mechanisms as
every other change: no need to keep track of mirrors, caches, revlibs, ...

        Stefan