Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Alexey N. Solofnenko
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:54:35 -0800

I tried native Windows and Cygwin TLA some time ago and they both failed with long path limitation. Also native Windows TLA crashed while trying to download a big repository from internet. **Maybe** these problems are already fixed, but there is no official Windows TLA build. Even more, it looks like Windows support is distributed between several third-party repositories and none of them seem finished.

Now, Windows does support long files names. It is even possible to call Win32 functions from Cygwin programs. I think, unless Windows patches are merged into main repository, Windows support will never be stabilized enough to be really usable. (Personally I think TLA relies too much on GNU command line tools that were not supported on Windows very well).

- Alexey.

John A Meinel wrote:

I was arguing 3 things:

1) tla will run under cygwin, so there is a windows version available.
2) cmd.exe isn't a great shell, so depending on cygwin is okay. They
   actually made it quite a bit better than command.com, but bash is
   still far better.
3) the general windows philosophy is to use gui's for things.

The main 2 reasons tla doesn't run on windows is that it had a tendency to abuse path names (make them too long) this is what I work on. The second is that it is written as a POSIX application, and windows isn't generally posix compliant. (They use file handles instead of small integers, for instance.)
John
=:->