Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirroring concepts/practice help

From: Kevin Geiss
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirroring concepts/practice help
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:30:49 -0700

On Feb 3, 2005, at 7:32 AM, Kevin Geiss wrote:

wait, I'm running into a problem still. I'm on my laptop, I want to 'pull' from my archive at desertsol.com to a local mirror on my laptop:

7:14AM0quasar>tla archive-mirror address@hidden address@hidden
arch_archive_connect: attempt to connect to wrong mirror
  archive: address@hidden
  wanted mirror of: address@hidden
  got mirror of: address@hidden
7:23AM1quasar>tla archives
address@hidden
    /Users/kevin/arch/2005-home-MIRROR
address@hidden
    sftp://desertsol.com/data/archives/2005-home

I'm sure if I temporarily registered sftp://desertsol.com/data/archives/2005-home with its true name (address@hidden) and the local mirror with the name address@hidden it would work, but then I would need to un-register them, and register the local mirror with the name address@hidden to be able to do anything with it. I'd rather register them once. what am I missing now?

I checked the =meta-info of my local mirror. the 'name' and 'mirror' files both contain 'address@hidden'.

so I re-'make archive'ed the mirror, so that it has 'address@hidden' in the name and mirror files. to do that, I registered the real archive with the 'address@hidden' name, rather than the -SOURCE name.

after the initial archive-mirror command finished, I re-registered the two archives using the -SOURCE name for the 'real' archive and the normal name for the mirror. then archive-mirror was able to mirror from the -SOURCE to the local mirror.

so I guess the important part is what is stored in the 'name' and 'mirror' meta-info files. the easiest way to set those correctly is to use temporary names when first creating the mirror, then switching to names you plan to use after that.