[Gnu-arch-users] arch commit on large trees ?

From: Philippe Moutarlier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] arch commit on large trees ?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:23:42 -0700

Ok, sorry if this was brought up before. I tried to search the archive
but could not find answers to this....

I am new to tla/arch and trying to prove to people to my company that it
could be a cool idea instead of CVS. I just installed it and tried some
simple edit/commit on a quite large tree (i.e. same size as a full linux
kernel).

I am using explicit tagging method on a local hard drive, even if a
laptop one.  Now my problem (and a show stopper for my company guys), is
the time it takes to compute the changes and/or commit them. It takes up
to 3 minutes before it even gets to the "update pristine tree" phase,
then you must add 1:30 minute to get the final "committed".

This seems to be extremely slow compared to my experience of CVS on a
remote NFS mounted repository. Am I doing something wrong or is there a
way to improve this ?

I am using tla 1.3.3

Thanks,

Philippe