[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch commit on large trees ?

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch commit on large trees ?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:42:24 +0200

"Philippe Moutarlier" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is that the only way to get decent speed ? Then I guess it is not an
> option for us.
> The main interesting idea that I was trying to sell is the ability to do
> remote software version management while not being connected to the
> network. This is especially interesting for people on the road with
> their laptops who could not afford to store revision libraries.

Revision libraries are a solution for disconnected operations, not a
problem. Commands like "baz status", "baz diff" do not need access to
the archive if the revision library is filled in. If you need to be
able to commit offline, then branch in your local archive and merge
when you come back on the network.

Unless you have very limited disk space on your laptops, I'm pretty
sure you can afford to store revision libraries (configured with
--sparse --greedy). You'll just need to prune it from time to time (rm
-fr some revision directory, or use the script provided in tla-tools).

--
Matthieu