Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Mark Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:52:26 +0000

On 2005.10.14 15:22, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 07:50:55AM +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> No -- GIT doesn't only look for a filename match, that'd be naive.
> Once it finds teh file, it tries to figure out if it's the same one
> (SHA1 matches or a high similarity index). Same for identifying the
> rename: it looks for new files in that commit with a high
similarity

Ah, joy, so it makes an educated guess instead.

I fail to understand why the developers would go to such great lengths to develop fuzzy matching, which is *going* to fail by definition in certain circumstances, just to avoid adding a single command where the user explicitly records a rename and gets 100% accuracy.

Because fuzzy matching is an "interesting" problem. Any fool can implement a rename command, and they just aren't any fools.

If the only solutions out there are going to make a policy of assuming I'm that lazy and trying to second-guess my every move, then thanks, but no thanks. I'll pass on the silver hammers until someone comes up with a (better) real toolset.