Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE-REQUEST] Support for several SSH impleme

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE-REQUEST] Support for several SSH implementations
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:21:25 +0100

   I think you're right.  `patch-12' in my branch removes
   auto-detection magic.  It also renames the `TLA_SSH_' vars to
   `ARCH_SSH_' (I think `_SSH' is better suited than `_SFTP' because
   we are really talking about implementations of the SSH protocol).

Great! Thank you.  Though, I still think ARCH_SSH is better than
ARCH_SSH_BINARY. :-)

   Now, we should try to detect which implementation is available at
   *compile-time*, and/or add a `configure' option, and default to
   that implementation.

Is there a specific need for having a default?

I would be a bit cautios about adding such DWIM functionality here,
lsh on Debian is not GNU lsh, but a shell, and you'd need to add lots
of special cases for each and every secure shell type you wish to
support.  I think that simply hardcoding to a known working
implementation it is the simplest.

   So someone will have to find it out, and make sure this variable
   contains one of the strings that are valid `ARCH_SSH_TYPE' values,
   and *not* just the binary name (which seems to be the case now).
   The `cfg__ssh_is_lsh' variable can be removed.  We might also want
   to add a `cfg__ssh_binary' variable containing the path of the
   binary.  Any `package-framework' wizard out there?  :-)

I could tell you, but it would require me to perform lobotomy on my
own brain.  We need to switch the whole package-framework mess to the
GNU build system... And no, I'm not voluenteering, I'm only bitching
about it. :-)