Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE-REQUEST] Support for several SSH impleme

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE-REQUEST] Support for several SSH implementations
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:24:24 +0100

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a specific need for having a default?

Well, yes.  Suppose you install tla on a box where only OpenSSH will
ever be available, and under `/chbouib/openssh'.  Having the possibility
to tell tla once for all about this default at compile-time can be
arguably pleasant.

> I could tell you, but it would require me to perform lobotomy on my
> own brain.  We need to switch the whole package-framework mess to the
> GNU build system... And no, I'm not voluenteering, I'm only bitching
> about it. :-)

Yeah, I'm afraid Tom is the only person who can maintain `hackerlab',
`package-framework' and friends.  This makes tla's future very dependent
on him, unless a bunch of other people maintain it in the long term.
But I think this is unlikely because both of them are not well known
outside of the GNU Arch community (and I'm under the impression that
none of them was ever released as an independent package).

Additionally, it more than doubles the cost of maintaining tla: tla
amounts to 50k SLOCs, while hackerlab amounts to 72k SLOCs...

Besides, `package-framework' seems like a good idea.  It's just that not
enough people know how it works.  :-)

Anyway, since you do know, could you ether implement these compile-time
options/detection or give pointers as to how to do it?

Thanks,
Ludovic.