Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:12:32 -0700

Hi Drew,

On 8/6/07, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 2. The call to fit-frame in anything-maybe-fit-frame passes in 4
> > params. The 4th parameter to fit-frame was only added on July 21,
> > 2007. Therefore, this causes breakage for anyone using a released
> > version of emacs or a CVS emacs that is not pretty recent. Since the
> > params are optional, you could either just pass in 3 params or
> > condition the call.
>
> * You do not need `fit-frame.el' for Anything. If you do not have
> `fit-frame' in your `load-path', then it is not used. In that case, there is
> no error and no change in Anything behavior - a standalone *anything* frame
> is simply not resized to fit the buffer; that's all.
>
> * `fit-frame.el' is not part of the GNU Emacs distribution. It makes no
> difference which version of Emacs you have; `fit-frame.el' works with Emacs
> 20, 21, and 22. It is available here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/fit-frame.el.
>
> * You are correct that `fit-frame.el' was updated on 2007-07-21 to allow a
> fourth parameter, and Anything reflects that. So, if you do have
> `fit-frame.el' in your `load-path' and you use `anything.el', then you will
> want to update your version of `fit-frame.el'.
>
> In sum, either update `fit-frame.el' or remove it from your `load-path'.
> Anything should work fine in either case.

You're correct (my mistake) - fit-frame is not part of GNU Emacs.
However, it is bundled with Aquamacs Emacs (the emacs that I use on my
Mac), so it will be present for the many Mac users who use Aquamacs.
In addition, it would be better to condition the call to fit-frame so
that anything does not break if an older version of fit-frame has been
manually installed by someone.

I didn't see a version number variable in the source for fit-frame;
however, if the "(require 'fit-frame)" succeeds, a test could be done
on the existence of the inhibit-fit-frame-flag to determine whether 3
parameters or 4 should be passed in. That would allow
anything-maybe-fit-frame to not break if an older version of fit-frame
exists on a user's machine.

- Bill