Re: [GNU-linux-libre] RLSD GNU/Linux-libre 2.x

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] RLSD GNU/Linux-libre 2.x
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 07:43:54 -0700 (PDT)

fr33domlover <address@hidden> asked:

> What if a distro is not self-hosting, but can be built from another
> fully free distro which is on the FSF's list of free distros?

An exception to self-hosting is addressed in the GNU FSDG already.
This was added for clarity due to LibreWRT, which targets embedded
devices that don't have the resources to compile their own software.
x86/x86_64 machines, in comparison, do.

"An exception to this requirement and to the self-hosting requirement
above is for small system distributions, which are distros designed
for devices with limited resources, like a wireless router for
example. Free small system distributions do not need to be
self-hosting or complete, because it is impractical to do development
on such a system, but it must be developable and buildable on top of a
free complete system distribution from our list of distributions,
perhaps with the aid of free tools distributed alongside the small
system distribution itself."

> I'd ask RMS. Is he subscribed to this list (or should I send to him
> directly)?

It is better to go through FSF staff via this list and leave it to
them to interact with RMS as needed.