Re: Copyright assigments for the GNU system.

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: Copyright assigments for the GNU system.
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:44:31 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:

   How should copyright assigments be handled for the GNU system? By GNU
   system I mean tools like the package manager/builder, installer, etc.

These programs would be GNU packages just as Emacs and GCC are.

But with the amount of time it takes FSF to assign copyright, this is a major PITA..

   How should things that we canniablaise from other projects be handled?
   Like right now I'm cannabialising Nick Moffitt's code from GAR.  The
   code I will write will be easy to transfer the copyright for, but I
   have no idea about Nick's code... Haven't asked him yet either.

We have to presume that code won't be copyright FSF.
(We can't presume he would want to assign the copyright.)

Do you need to copy code from GAR?  Could you use GAR itself?