Re: Comparing PackageFS and GNU PM

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Comparing PackageFS and GNU PM
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:42:15 +0200

   The read part is similar to the package-by-category translator.

Okie.

   The write part (symlink or mdir syscall) installs the package in
   the Hurdish way.

Well, the package-by-category translator would essentially just send
all such calls to the package translator.  I don't see any need to
reimplement anything in it, only important part is how what you get
when you list /package-by-category or whatever everything else can be
redirected to the package manager translator.

   - call GSC and make symlink

This puzzels me very much.  GSC shouldn't be used at all like this, it
is _only_ used to _create_ packages.  There is no intention that a
translator should use GSC in anyway what so ever.  GSC should be
running on some lonley machine and build packages; nothing more.  You
can't even use GSC to manage packages, and there is no intention to
add such support, this is for the GNU package manager todo.