Re: Status

From: pancake
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:08:19 +0200

In Bee we've written a pkgsrc binary package manager for the HURD
in scheme (GNU Guile) using stow as a backend.

It just works, but requires a "little bit"(R) of work and testing.

The name of this project is "stut" aka "stow utility", and it allows you to
install different versions of the same package, and make visible or hide
another versions of the same.

binary pkgsrc packages are just tarball with some metadata, but you can
tar xzvf {tarball} -C {prefix} and everything must be ok. Stut doens't handle
dependencies (yet), but using pkg_add (that comes with pkgsrc) it works
fine, resolving dependencies and downloading the rest of tarballs from the
desired repository via PKG_PATH environ.

BTW, I know that pkgsrc is not GPL. But the pkgsrc dependency of stut could be
dropped in pro to a new GNU package standard. Stut is just the frontend for
all this stuff and is GPL'd.

I think that the GNU system must implement a new package system that makes
use of all these features (stowfs, etc..), that was the reason why we start
writting
the STUT.

You can get't by:

$ CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d address@hidden:/bee co stut