Re: Status

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:52:57 +0200 (CEST)

   I'm not talking about mixing stow and stowfs I said that stut
   allows to use three different backends for stow:

    - stow        - the GNU one (written in Perl)
    - stut-stow   - the Scheme implementation of stow (implemented inside stut)
    - stowfs      - native for the Hurd (not yet implemented)

   The use of one or another can be choosed by the user. But would be
   good to handle this automagically without the user interaction.

Ah, ok, stut is basically apt-get.  I think you said this somewhere,
but I must have missed it.

    - Do we wanna use stut for the GNU as a stow frontend?

I don't know, if it is as usable as say apt-get, I don't see why not.

    - Design for the binary package format.

I think we shouldn't confuse the actual bundel (tar, cpio, ...) with
what is actually extracted.  The binary package is infact what is
extracted on the system.

    - What info do we require for it and how to store't.

Dependencies come to mind.  Storing was briefly discussed, a SUMMARY/
directory that contains flat text files that can be read by
stowfs/apt-get/stut/... if they exist.