Re: Status

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:21:02 +0200 (CEST)

   lighter: is just a bundle of 30KB of shellscript. and 1GB of work
   space.  portable: it works on GNU/Linux and HURD, some BSD work
   done.  easier to maintain: maybe this is not the right "word"

Seems about the same as for GSC.

   I was unable to use't on my GNU/Linux system, i had problems with
   some programs that doesn't implement some flags,

You didn't report these problems.  Do you remeber what flags, and
programs didn't work?

   And GSC doesn't crosscompile from scratch a GNU/HURD system afaik.

I started a branch for that, I'd like it to work much like `make
release' in NetBSD's src tree, where you can simply specify which
architecture you want GNU for and have it setup a cross compiler and
use that.  But I put that on ice for now, since it was to much of a
pain in getting all programs working with a cross compiler.  It is a
feature which I really would love to have.

   > I'd love to hear what you consider `heavy, unportable, and hard
   > to maintain' in GSC.

   GSC only works on GNU systems. right? so, is unportable. About the
   "hard to maintain" I tell't before that i've used the wrong word.

GSC is primarly written for GNU, it was mostly developed on GNU/Linux.
And will work on any system where you have GNU Make, tla, and some
other GNUish utilities installed.

   BTW forget this discussion.

I think that if we do that, then we will end up doing this discussion
at some later point in time.  We seem to be having this one once in a
while.

Cheers.