Re: What to call Guix

From: Rastus Vernon
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 21:18:01 -0500

The “GNU” in the name refers to the fact that the software
distribution is part of the GNU project. In this sense, only this
distribution can claim that name, since others are independent
projects that just happen to provide GNU software. This distribution
is part of the GNU project, follows the GNU philosophy and integrates
GNU software tightly.

Guixotic has the disadvantage that it tells us nothing about the
system other than the fact that it uses the Guix package manager. I
understand the idea behind the name, and there are other distributions
(Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu) that have names that don't tell us a lot
about them, but I cannot think of many examples of this for GNU
software. I was also thinking of “GNU Free Software Distribution”,
which emphasizes the fact that the distribution created by the Guix
project makes it a point to contain only free software.