Re: What to call Guix

From: Aurélien DESBRIÈRES
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 16:12:37 +0100

"Joshua S. Grant" <address@hidden> writes:

>> We cannot give it a name like that.  To call a distro "the GNU system
>> distribution" would come across as a rejection of gNewSense, Trisquel,
>> etc.  Those distros are important contributions to our community, and
>> promoting them is an important goal for the GNU Project.
>
>> Therefore, my decision is that the GNU Project will not name a distro
>> by a name that appears to say it is above all other distros in
>> importance to us.  I'm also the judge of whether any name has that
>> problem.
>
>> Please propose names that would clearly and definitely avoid this
>> problem.  I liked Guixotic because it avoids this problem.
>> There are other ways to avoid it, perhaps not as clever and funny
>> as Guixotic but they'd be acceptable.
>

> I'm not sure if you are aware of this list, but late last year I was
> assigned the task of gathering the brunt of these suggestions @
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Suggested_Distro_Names
>
> Curious to what your feelings would be on some of these that haven't
> been talked about much if at all and/or if any of these would make
> decent alternatives for "Guixotic'.
>
> Regards.

Guixotic, give to dislexic Guitoxic

Guix, "pronounce Geeks" have its own philosophy like all distro in the
OS world.

Their dev certainly knows better than all other what is its deeper
philosophy.

Fully agreed with RMS about saying the GSD is make a shoot on other
distro that have their own philosophy and by the way their own
importance to the community.

Regards

--
Aurelien Desbrieres