RE: [open-cobol-list] USAGE POINTER

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] USAGE POINTER
Date: Tue Feb 3 16:29:04 2004

A couple things to think about for this extension.

1) Earlier release of IBM COBOL allowed SET ADDRESS OF data-item only for
LINKAGE SECTION data items.  Current releases also allow it for WS items

2)  SET ADDRESS OF must be followed by an 01 or 77-level item (not a
subordinate item)

3) Be careful about the distinctions between USAGE POINTER and USAGE
Procedure-Poi8nter (both exist in current IBM and many PC compilers)