RE: [open-cobol-list] USAGE POINTER

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] USAGE POINTER
Date: Wed Feb 4 14:04:05 2004

*GETTING* the address of a subordinate data-item is (and should be) allowed
by all the implementations that I know of.

*CHANGING* the address of a subordinate item is "strange" (and I can't even
figure out what SHOULD happen).

Consider:

 01  Group-1.
      05   Elem1  Pic  XX.
      05   Elem2  Pic  XX.
      05   Elem3  Pic  Xx.
    Set Address of Elem2 to Some-Pointer-Item.

What happens to the address of Elem3?  What happens on a Move to Group-1?

I think that the entire "current" ('85 and 2002) Standard definitions of
"group items" is built on the REQUIREMENT that all the storage of an
01-level (or 77-level) be in "contiguous" storage.  Any change to this may
break "bunches" of the rest of the COBOL language.