Re: [open-cobol-list] USAGE POINTER

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] USAGE POINTER
Date: Wed Feb 4 21:39:08 2004

At Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:03:13 -0600,
William M. Klein wrote:

> *GETTING* the address of a subordinate data-item is (and should be) allowed
> by all the implementations that I know of.
>
> *CHANGING* the address of a subordinate item is "strange" (and I can't even
> figure out what SHOULD happen).

Yes, open-cobol also allows getting the address of any data items
but limits changing the address to 01 or 77 items (though I haven't
implemented this error checking yet).

By the way, is there any COBOL compiler that allows changing the
address of data items defined in the working-storage section?
It seems IBM COBOL and MicroFocus COBOL require data items to be
defined in the linkage section.  COBOL 2002 allows data items
defined in the working-storage, but they must be "based items",
which have the BASED phrase and no initial allocation.

If there is no need to change the address of working-storage data
items, I will support only linkage data items and based data items.

Keisuke