Re: [open-cobol-list] Cobol / Linux / X-Windows

From: Ben Duncan
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Cobol / Linux / X-Windows
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:09:51 -0600

Ok a I'll bite.    A TUI or a true GUI ?

I have written a lot of Acu-Cobol COBOL programs that give the impression of
a GUI, but a in a TUI (Text User Interface) mode. There are such things
as scrollable lookups, Standard look and feel. standard keyboard mappings, quick menu capabilities.

Right now, it is beyond the capability of OC since my stuff depends on a lot of SCREEN section routines.

There is NOT any Acu-Cobol dependencies in these routines and they should work with ANY Modern Cobol.

On a true GUI side, MF cobol has a JAVA "terminal" interface that can layer a
GUI look and feel on top of the standard code and seems to work reasonable well.

This is also true of Net-Cobol (Fujitsu) that even has a .NET hook.

Hope this helps ...

Bill Klein wrote:
The following note was posted this weekend in comp.lang.cobol.  There have
been a few replies (such as TK/TCL)

But the question for this list (and the forum) is
 Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for this OpenCOBOL user?
(Especially any EXPERIENCE that they could share)

<SNIP>

--
Ben Duncan - Business Network Solutions, Inc. 336 Elton Road  Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"